Section 4: Registration Process for Courses, Independent Study and Electives
Registration Process for courses:
Please refer to Chapter 1, section on Policies and the Registrar’s office
Three credits are the maximum number of credits that may be awarded per Independent Study. Each Independent Study credit requires 15 hours of face time with the Independent Study mentor and 30 hours of non-face time. Please note that while the total hours committed to the pursuit of the Independent Study may be sufficient for more than three credits or more than one elective, students will not receive any more than three credits for one project/course of study. Each student may complete no more than two independent study projects.
An Independent Study must be a unique experience. Material covered during an independent study project should be highly targeted and not simply a review of the regularly offered coursework. It is important to note that generally speaking independent study projects should not be attempts to take CLR courses that are offered routinely during the academic year at times that are more convenient for the student. Students should not expect independent study projects to exempt them from core course requirements without approval by the Track Academic Advisor and the Program Director.
Steps towards formalizing an Independent Study:
- Meet with the Program Director to discuss your plans for your Independent Study at least 6 weeks prior to the start of the Independent Study.
- Meet with the faculty sponsoring your Independent Study to discuss and plan the Independent Study at least 6 weeks before the start of the Independent Study.
- Complete the Independent Study Proposal Form and submit it to the Program Office with the appropriate signatures at least 3 weeks before the start of the independent study. See Appendix C
- Register for the Independent Study credits through the registration system before starting the Independent Study.
- Complete the project/course of study once approved.
- Complete the Independent Study Postscript Report and submit to the Program Office with appropriate signatures no later than 3 weeks after your project has been completed. See Appendix C
- Request that your Faculty Sponsor complete the Independent Study Faculty Sponsor Form and submit it to the Program Office no later than 3 weeks after the study has been completed, Independent Study Faculty Sponsor Form. See Appendix C
- Review Postscript Report and Evaluation with your faculty sponsor.
- Complete the Independent Study Student Evaluation of Faculty Form no later than 3 weeks after the study has been completed. See Appendix C
Electives Offered in Other Programs or at Other Institutions
Students are permitted to take any course listed in the CLR Curriculum Guide as an elective. Only courses listed in the Curriculum guide are approved for CLR credit.
If a student wishes to take a course in the Graduate Program at ISMMS, which is not listed in the Curriculum Guide, he/she must request approval from the Program Director prior to registering for the class.
If a student wishes to take an elective course offered at a different institution, the student will need to submit a course description and a syllabus from the Institution offering the elective course, together with a completed Elective Approval Form (see Appendix C), to the Clinical Research Education office. Approval must be given from the Clinical Research Education Program Director prior to enrolling in the course.
Upon completion of the elective course, the student will need to complete the Evaluation Form for Transfer of Credit (see Appendix C) and submit it to the Program Office along with an official transcript from the institution where the course was taken. The form and transcript must be submitted in order for the elective to appear on a student’s CLR transcript.